I love the oxford comma.
- If you must color your hair (oh, and I must) find a skilled master colorist! It’s not always the most expensive person, I’m talking about the person who loves hair, mixes color like an artist & knows how much bleach your kind of hair strand can handle. For example I’m a low volume demi permanent kinda girl.
- “Treat your hair like a fine silk shirt”- my colorist Valerie Harrell. Meaning curly hair is delicate & ends can be years old so like a fabric it’ll fray without special care. Even the way I handled my hair in general when pushing it forward or backwards, fluffing etc, was too rough she said.
- I massage or rub my scalp a lot. Massaging helps stimulate hair follicles exponentially by bringing blood to the scalp & it doesn’t cost any $.
- I stopped getting trims about 6-8 months ago. Now when there’s a bad split or knot I dry trim the strand right away otherwise it’ll take down the surrounding hairs. If you’re even a little ocd this might not be a great idea for you, some people can’t stop cutting and that’s no bueno.
- If my hair feels lifeless, limp, not dry, but not happy… It needs protein for structure, but this is only every few weeks followed up w/ a moisturizing conditioner under a dryer.
- Weirdly brittle means I probably need a clarifying shampoo to get rid of silicones and definitely a moisture deep treatment after, under dryer. My hair can get moisture parched quite quickly.
- Valerie my hairdresser says conditioner can’t really get in the strand w/o sitting under heat. I hate sitting under one at home but I do it cause she’s right.
- I read product labels because it’ll say ‘moisture’ on the front but will have wheat or milk protein with silicone for the main ingredients. Those don’t give moisture & end up just another expensive shaving cream.
- I like cider rinses & a blast of cool water to seal, but leave ins that are not too heavy on the oil are key with my kind of curl.
- Silicones ~ Hair takes a beating under L.A. sun & actress styling. The right silicones in quality products help heat protect my ends to retain length and seal in moisture.
- When my hair feels super porous, I’ll break out the old school Roux Porosity Control Corrector and Conditioner. I used it once in a while in the nineties, forgot about till this year. It’s weird and not at all organic but my hair loves it every three to four weeks.
- The ‘new trend’ of not shampooing isn’t new. in my late teens after my one & only relaxer wore out i realized just wetting my hair & putting more conditioner worked great for about 2 weeks. When I lived In NYC, and my hair liked more protein, I’d mix olive oil in with Aubrey organics GPB conditioner while wet, then more while it was drying. GBP is a great reg conditioner & leave in if your hair likes it.
- Post on my fav deep conditioners coming up.
- If I didn’t stretch out my curls I’d look like Little Orphan Annie, the white one, not the black one, Q’s curls are on point! I don’t use heat without 2-4.5 layers of product on the ends. I usually air dry then skim my hair with a flat iron and more product on med to stretch. I totally need to get a waver.
COLD PRESSED hexane free castor oil is best for my sensitive dry scalp, it’s a great emollient for skin too
My fine 3c curls get weighed down easily, Castor is one the only oils/butters I can use on dry or wet hair, so two thumbs up.
Straight coconut oil or anything with too much protein can make my hair brittle and break off.
I tried to keep my products 100% natural for a while, but ultimately the hair wants what the hair wants, and my hair loves this stuff
“I use silicones in arid climates, but can go for more natural products like glycerin based leave ins in humidity, like New York City.”
I’ve used Aubrey products off and on since college!
This works like a light moisturizing gel that doesn’t turn my hair into weird spaghetti curls
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”― Hippocrates
Some food & healthier living doc’s, books, blogs… I’ll get a proper list soon.
If you have a long commute, try audio books, I think they’re awesome for this kind of stuff.
Fed Up Geared more at kids and weight in America, a good starting place if you want the basics on eating for nutrition vs eating what’s advertised as food. Some might find it redundant info.
Salt Sugar Fat How The Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss This book reads like a thriller and is riveting. You won’t look or think about processed foods the same, you’ll feel too duped.
Mercola.com good site for navigating getting started in general healthy living
This Rawsome Vegan Life An easy way to dip your toe into eating more living foods is my favorite food blog is Emily Von Euw’s This Rawsome Vegan life, delicious, gorgeous to look at , easy to follow recipes, plus she’s a wizard with the cashew cream.
From upcoming film Good Grief.
Meet my new best friend, the Lemon.
Years back I was amazed to realize when I drank a bottle of Martinelli’s apple cider on my own in a day…. it was well over a thousand calories and that’s before anything solid even hit my mouth. No wonder I battled my weight most of my life.
Enter the lemon. As a child I loved lemon anything… cookies cakes, drinks, country Time lemonade… bring it on. My guess is instinctively my body craved vitamin c and the nutrients in actual lemons, but being a gen-x kid meant for the most part all our food came pre packaged, sugar coated, and fully microwaveable. I’m surprised we didn’t all get scurvy.
These days I drink a mixture of one lemon to one glass of water with a little bit of maple honey grade b. I go through 4-6 lemons a day. Some people add Cayanne pepper for a fast, I don’t. I’m just trying to keep off white sugar & stay hydrated. I don’t go too sweet, just enough to make it taste yummy not sour. It helps curb my appetite for carbs. You can make your own throat coat tea for sore throats by heating up water with lemon rinds, juice, ginger & honey.
There’s a huge debate whether or not lemon juice, an acid, has an alkalizing affect on the body. Acid foods are dairy, eggs, meat and grains, the Standard American Diet in a nut shell.
Fruits & veg have an alkaline effect on the body. What does that all mean? Too much of either throws your body out of whack. A body can leach minerals from its own bones if starved, that’s what an awesome machine the human body is… It’s designed to succeed even when not feed the right, or any fuel. while I’m no doctor and my results are anecdotal at best, for me, the lemon is one of my super foods. I used to down packets of Emergen-C, now I have a fresh lemon, it’s cheaper too!
Did you crave any fruits or vegetables as a kid? Do you love strawberry pop tarts? or Blueberry or apple pie? Maybe your body is pointing you toward your super food, rather than just the pastry & sugar. Try a real strawberry and clock your bodies response. There are cases of children deficit in vitamins gnawing on things like chalk or rocks that contained the missing minerals etc. Somewhere in us healthy eating is still hard wired in.
What’s your super food?
Sometimes I go to parties and hold things. Hope 2015 is feeling good on ya.
A few years ago I found myself laid up after a health thing. One day I seriously didn’t recognize my own reflection. After a lot of mental retraining … ie learning how not to emotional eat or eating for ‘entertainment’… quitting cigs, dairy, eggs… physical training w/ a trainer at first, then on my own. I’ve managed to get my body healthier than it’s ever been. If I can do it, anyone can, & it feels great to have let go of some vices.
I’ve see the human body to be an astounding machine with fantastical regeneration powers. And on the pure vanity tip a great side effect of eating clean real food, is it takes years off your ‘age clock’ the 100% natural way!
I’d love to share some of the things I’ve learned, but don’t worry, it’s not all crunchy granola, I’ve discovered youtube make tutorials and can’t wait to get into those… I’m not even talking contouring… well I am but… Let’s focus on where are you all going with your faces that done?!?! I’m an actress & felt mortified going to the grocery straight from set, with fake lashes & clip on hair, till I realized the check out girl was more done up than me. What gives? I’m not into hours long primping. Like I will use my fingers to put on eyeshadow. But thank you youtube vloggers for introducing me to the term ‘hit pan’.